Welcome to my Web site. I am an expert on the impact of emerging technologies on society, with a particular emphasis on personal and workplace privacy, cybertraps (the legal risks arising out of the use and misuse of technology), separation of church and state, and the culture wars in American society.
I have written nine books, have lectured extensively over the past two decades, and provide expert witness services in the field of computer forensics. I am also a past chairman of the Burlington (VT) School Board.
I live in Brooklyn, NY with my family. Additional information is available throughout this Web site.
Lecturer and Educational Consultant
For the past twenty years, I have organized and presented seminars and lectures on a wide range of topics relating to my professional work and research. My entertaining, dynamic, and informative lectures are suitable for a variety of audiences, and can be adapted to the specific needs of your organization:
- Breakout Session or Moderated Panel
- Professional Development for Educators or Administrators
- Policy and Procedure Workshop for Administrators and School Boards
- Presentation to Students (K-12); and/or
- Community Information Night
To schedule a presentation on any of these topics, or to have a lecture tailored to your organization’s interests or needs, click here to contact me.
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
Here is a partial list of my upcoming lectures:
- Mar. 2, 2017 — “Pornography and Obscenity in American Culture,” Art and Ethics, Fordham University
- Mar. 9, 2017 — “Bullying and School Safety Seminar: Playground to Cyberspace,” Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES & Anonymous Alerts, Yorktown Heights, NY
- Aug. 15-16, 2017 — Guam Commission for Educator Certification
Author and Freelance Writer
In response to the passage of the Communications Decency Act in 1996, I began researching the legislative and media response to the rise of the online adult industry. The resulting book, Obscene Profits: Entrepreneurs of Pornography in the Cyber Age, was the first of what are now seven mainstream non-fiction books. The others are:
- The Naked Employee: How Technology Is Compromising Workplace Privacy (Amacom 2003);
- The Decency Wars: The Campaign to Cleanse American Culture (Prometheus Books 2006);
- The Court and the Cross: The Religious Right’s Crusade to Reshape the Supreme Court (Beacon Press 2008);
- American Privacy: The 400-Year History of Our Most Contested Right (Beacon Press 2010);
- Cybertraps for the Young (NTI Upstream 2011);
- Cybertraps for Educators (2015); and
- Cybertraps for Expecting Moms & Dads (2016).
In addition to these books, I have written numerous magazine articles on a variety of topics, including constitutional rights (particularly freedom of speech), privacy online and in the workplace, the impact of technology on our rights and liberties, and the separation of church and state.
A Professional Highlight
My Interview with Jon Stewart on “The Daily Show“
In August 2006, I had the privilege of appearing on “The Daily Show with John Stewart” to discuss my then-latest book, The Decency Wars: The Campaign to Cleanse American Culture. It was a little nerve-wracking, but a great deal of fun. You can watch the clip of my interview by clicking on the box below.
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|