I will periodically update this page with feedback from past and future events.
If you are interested in having me speak to your organization at an upcoming event, please contact me. A copy of my current rate sheet is available upon request.
Massachusetts Association of School Personnel Administrators, Shrewsbury, MA, October 30, 2015.
Following this presentation, the event coordinator circulated a survey using Google Forms. Overall, my presentation received a 4.45 rating (out of 5). Attendees also offered the following comments, some of which also refer to the morning presentation by the Massachusetts OPPI:
- Both presentations were informative and interesting.
- Both workshops were very informative and provided useful information. Since our district has had to report licensure issues a number of times, it was helpful to know their process. Also, I was unaware of all of the programs out there that could potentially be used by staff/students. Great info!
- I would like to do a cybertraps presentation for all staff in the District.
- Atty Lane is a great speaker and it’s critical for all of us to keep as up to date with this as possible.
- Unfortunately I missed the earlier presentation (ironically due to a PP investigation) but caught up with most of Fred Lane’s presentation, which I thought was very good.
- The workshops were great. The presenters were very knowledgeable and their real life examples supported the content of their presentation.
- Overall excellent workshop with informative content.
- Very informative & I learned a lot from both presentations. Cybertraps brought up some scenarios that hadn’t occurred to me (or I just hadn’t thought about at work & home). I definitely left much more aware. Thank you!
- Very interesting presenter. The two hours flew by.
- I thought it was fabulous! Coming from the South Shore – it’s difficult to attend in person – not to mention trying to get the time out of the office – I was able to enjoy and learn while working at my desk. I hope that the broadcast will be taped and available to replay on the website – I would like to study some of the parts during which I was interrupted. Both topics are very dense – and there certainly was a lot of valuable information to mine for future. Thank you, so much!!
- Both were engaging and interesting and contained information that I did not know.
- Both were very valuable to me and I wish I had the information a little earlier in my career as it could have helped me with at least two situations that I can think of. Thank you!
- It was a great day with lots of great information. I watched via video and it was nice not to have to drive the 1 1/2 hours each way. I also had time at lunch to work on some things in-district.Thanks so much for the opportunity.
- Both workshops were very good. It would be very helpful if the meetings/seminars were closer in proximity to the 1-93 or 1-95 area.
- Both workshops were very informative-the case studies were very helpful!
- One of the most informative ones I’ve been to! Thanks for hosting these!!
- Wish we had more time to see all of Fred’s presentation on Cybertraps … it was fascinating
- Both presentations were relevant, useful and interesting. Thank you
- Both presentations were very well done and provided useful information that will help me in my day to day responsibilities
- Great combination of programming. Well designed day. Two presentations were even better when considered together.
Hawai’i Teacher Standards Board, Honolulu, HI, September 10, 2015.
A presentation to various members of the Hawai’i education community on the legal risks faced by teachers from the use and misuse of digital devices. The following assessment was offered by HTSB Executive Director Lynn Hammonds in an email to regional NASDTEC members:
Last Friday the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board hosted our “Ethics Summit” where we heard from Phil Rogers, Troy Hutchings, Fred Lane and Janet Cook on the Model Code of Ethics for Educators (MCEE), ethical issues, cybertraps and the ProEthica assessment. Hawaii preparation program and teacher union representatives joined us and even the Chairperson of the Senate Education Committee was in attendance. Everyone thought it was an awesome day and I encourage you to think about doing the same in your jurisdictions.
Libraries: The Front Lines of the Decency Wars
Simmons College, Boston, MA, May 29, 2015.
A presentation to students in the Intellectual Freedom and Censorship class, taught by Dr. Laura Saunders. The following is the feedback from Dr. Saunders:
We had a great guest lecture from Fred Lane in our Intellectual Freedom and Censorship course on Friday [May 29, 2015]. The students really enjoyed his engaging and informative talk, which led to some excellent questions and discussions. His books should be required reading for all librarians. The history and current situation around free speech, censorship, and the implications of new technologies are all areas about which we need to be informed and which impact our everyday practice.
Can You See Me Now? The Growing Problem of Sexting in the Public Schools
National School Board Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, April 11, 2010.
Lecture on the rapidly-growing phenomenon of sexting among middle and high school students around the country.
My presentation received a score of 98.72 out of 100 from respondents. Here’s what attendees had to say:
- NICE JOB
- THE PRESENTATION WAS POWERFUL. RECOMMEND THAT SPEAKER CONTINUES HIS PRESENTATION WITH NSBA.
- LARGER ROOM, MORE HANDOUTS. THIS IS AN ONGOING TOPIC SINCE TECH IS CHANGING SO RAPIDLY, IT IS NECESSARY FOR US TO BE INFORMED.
- RELEVANT TOPIC – PROVIDED IDEAS FOR FUTURE BOARD MEETINGS.
- ONE OF THE BEST PRESENTATIONS
- GREAT, TIMELY TOPIC. VERY INFORMATIVE
- GOOD JOB – REPEATED QUESTIONS WE COULDN’T HEAR.
- GOOD INFORMATION
- THANK YOU FOR BRINGING UP A VALID CONCERN FOR OUR SCHOOLS TODAY. VERY WORTHWHILE. I WILL DEFINITELY RESEARCH OUR SCHOOL POLICY(S)
- WELL DONE.
- THIS WAS A TIMELY WELL-DONE PRESENTATION. THANK YOU
- BEST SESSION I HAVE ATTENDED THUS FAR. SPEAKER WAS EXCELLENT
- EXCELLENT PRESENTATION
- IT WAS EXCELLENT. SHOULD BE REPEATED, AS ROOM WAS FULL
- AS IMPORTANT AS A TOPIC AS THERE IS. AWESOME PRESENTATION
- INCREDIBLE PRESENTATION. I HAD NO IDEA OF THE DEPTH OF THIS ISSUE
- VERY TIMELY
- EXCELLENT A VERY TIMELY INFORMATION. ALL DISTRICTS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO LEARN THIS DATA. THANK YOU
- EXCELLENT. APPRECIATED THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS.
- CLASS WAS FULL. SHOULD BE HELD AGAIN AT NEXT CONFERENCE
- EXCELLENT OVERVIEW OF VERY TIMELY TOPICS
- EXCELLENT AND RELEVANT
- GREAT BACK UP TO MORNING SESSION ON MEDIA, SEXTING, ETC. BOTH WERE WELL DONE.
- VERY GOOD
- EXTREMELY TIMELY. PLEASE BRING HIM BACK AND PROVIDE A MUCH LARGER SPACE. EXCELLENT PRESENTATION AND MADE CLEAR CONNECTIONS TO SCHOOL BOARDS.