I have been a freelance writer for nearly forty years. My career began with sports stories in high school for The Rockland Standard (now part of the Wicked Local network of online newspapers) and the (brief) publication of an underground newspaper, The Bullbl**p. I also had the honor of contributing to the “High School Focus” program of The Boston Globe.
During my first stint as an associate at a law firm, I was asked to assist one of the senior partners in writing a book on jury instructions for Vermont trial lawyers. That book, Vermont Jury Instructions—Civil and Criminal (Butterworths Legal Publishers 1993), was co-authored with John Dinse and Richie Berger. Although I did not realize it at the time, that project would become the first of what are now nine published books.
Seven years later, I published my first solo authored book: Obscene Profits: Entrepreneurs of Pornography in the Cyber Age (Routledge 2000). Since then, I have published the following titles:
- The Naked Employee: How Technology Is Compromising Workplace Privacy (Amacom 2003);
- The Decency Wars: The Campaign to Cleanse American Culture (Prometheus Books 2006);
- The Court and the Cross: The Religious Right’s Crusade to Reshape the Supreme Court (Beacon Press 2008);
- American Privacy: The 400-Year History of Our Most Contested Right (Beacon Press 2010);
- Cybertraps for the Young (NTI Upstream 2011);
- Cybertraps for Educators (2015); and, most recently,
- Cybertraps for Expecting Moms & Dads (2016).
- Bolin, Sherrie (ed.), The Standards Edge: Future Generations (Ann Arbor: Sheridan Books 2005). Contributed chapter entitled “Will the Future Have an Off Switch?”
- Bolin, Sherrie (ed.), The Standards Edge: Open Season (Ann Arbor: Sheridan Books 2005). Contributed chapter entitled “Can Open Source Software Saver Personal Privacy?”.
- Galway, Hon. Richard E., New Hampshire Worker’s Compensation Manual (Butterworths Legal Publishers 1988 and Supps. 1994-1995). Researched and wrote 1994 and 1995 supplements to the original work.
- State Capital Law Firm Group, Products Liability—Fifty State Handbook (West Publishing Co., 1994). Co-authored chapter on Vermont products liability law.
- State Capital Law Firm Group, Lobbying, PACs, and Campaign Finance—Fifty State Handbook (West Publishing Co., 1994). Co-authored chapter on Vermont lobbyist registration and campaign finance laws.
- Cushman, Robert F. (ed.), Fifty State Construction Lien & Bond Law (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1992). Co-authored chapter on Vermont lien and bond law.
- Daller, Morton F. (ed.), Product Liability Desk Reference (Rawle & Henderson, Philadelphia, PA, 1991 and 1992). Co-authored chapter on Vermont product liability law.